Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ch. 3 ~ Gee's Principles of Probing

     I found the three most important principles offered by Gee to be the Probing Principle where learning is a cycle of probing the world; reflecting in and on this action and, forming a hypothesis; reprobing the world to test this hypothesis; and then accepting or rethinking the hypothesis. Next, Discovery Principle where overt telling is kept to a well-thought-out minimum, allowing ample opportunity for the learner to experiment and make discoveries. Finally, Practice Principle where learners get lots of practice in a context where the practice is not boring. They spend lots of time on task.
     I am not quite sure how to implement this technology in an English classroom. I suppose any interactive game with story telling which allows for correction of grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. would enhance learning. Also, software which allows a student to create/write a story where the student decides the events of the main character(s) based on available choices and would therefore effect the final outcome of the story would stimulate as well.
     I believe the most beneficial teaching for an English Secondary classroom will come from reading of literature, writing, and student-teacher relationship. In my opinion, other than a grammar game, etc., I would have a hard time spending too much time on game technology.
    
 
Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R. M., & Crismond, D. (2008). Meaningful Learning
       with Technology (3rd ed., pp. 54-55). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice
       Hall.

4 comments:

  1. I admit, Penny, it was difficult for me to think of how to use simulations in the classroom concerning English. I agree that reading, writing, and student-teacher relationship is vital, but I am also hoping to incorporate games to stimulate students and keep them from becoming bored. Good luck to you as a fellow-teacher! You will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with two of your principles Penny. I chose Discovery and Practice as well because it gives students a chance to experience real life situations and practice a task until it is mastered. I also agree with you on not spending alot of time on game technology. As a P.E. teacher the students will be playing real games and that is as hands on as it gets. I think it is more important for the student to engage in real physical activities for P.E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Penny, the principles that you picked are important. Many students need practice. Some teachers may go over the subject once but repetition is a good way to teach also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I had the same problem trying to decide which simulation might be most beneficial to our students. I'm sure there are some excellent ones out there and I look forward to finding them and integrating them into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete